Tuesday, March 21, 2017

DAVE CHAPPELLE'S NEW SPECIAL COULD BE UP THERE WITH THE GREATEST EVER

Dave Chappelle just did one of the most impressive things ever in comedy. This is a guy who was on top of the world, walked away from 50 million dollars, had the entire country insist he lost his mind came back, had videos of him drunkenly getting booed off stage surface, and after all that, put out not one, but two of the best hours of stand up I've ever watched. And the most amazing part about it is, he remained himself. He didn't wear a whacky outfit. He didn't totally shy away from the content that made him popular, just to fit in with the cool kids at the PC table. He didn't suddenly feel the need to jam his girthy political views down your throat, after never giving a shit about politics. He's done what only a couple guys like Chris Rock and Louis CK have been able to do. Not let money and fame change his voice.
I don't want to be that guy that just sees something new and has to go way overboard in calling it the best ever. Everyone loves jumping to now equaling better. Before I can call this one of the greatest ever, I need to let it settle in my mind. I'll give both hours another watch. Probably on some medicinal substances next time to enhance my thinking. So for now I'll just call it 2 brilliant hours. And just so you trust my word, I'll give you a taste of my favorite stand up specials of all time. And before the snobs get up my ass, I acknowledge Pryor and Carlin are the GOAT's. But I'm 25.Just because I don't list Lenny Bruce and Woody Allen as my favorite's doesn't mean I don't respect their impact on comedy. It means I'm not a phony, pretentious hipster that thinks I'll sound smart by talking down to you about guys that weren't speaking to my generation.

5, Jim Jefferies-Freedumb

4. John Mulaney- New In Town

3. Louis CK-Hilarious Chewed Up, Shameless...Take your pick

2. Dave Chappelle-Killing Them Softly

1. Bill Burr- I'm Sorry You Feel That Way

Honorable Mentions- Brian Regan was the first special I remember gasping for air, laughing at. Jim Norton is one of my favorite guys to listen to but his his two best specials I put a level below these. Dave Attell, Hannibal Burress and Doug Stanhope were the 3 closest to replacing Jefferies and Mulaney. Chelsea Peretti and Bo Burnham did really weird interesting shit with their latest specials. I could've made the whole top 5 Louis, Burr, and Chappelle but wanted to give other guys some credit.

3 comments: