Tuesday, April 11, 2017

THE BIGGEST JOKE IN COMEDY, DIVERSITY

Race and gender now consume the hearts and minds of our society. The Me Generation, which I am a part of, thrive on attention. There's no quicker way to get thaon a t than standing up and crying bigotry. Comedy is no different. And as a comedy fan, I've noticed a deterioration in thinking over the last decade The conversation is no longer who is funniest. It's shifted to always looking for who is being excluded. If there's a show starring all men, we ignore the quality and ask where the women are. If there's a show with all white people, we assume they can't possibly be the best people for the job and accuse them of racism. We don't want an accurate representation of our community. We just want a cause that makes us feel important.
The worst part about the people that put diversity over quality is, they're the most marginalizing, exclusionary people that exist. They want to push forward Hispanic comedians. But it will never be someone like Luis J. Gomez. Because he doesn't call himself a beaner and put on a silly accent. They want to push forward gay comedians. But it will never be someone like Tim Dillon. Because he isn't a flamboyant caricature. They put people into categories and decide who should be allowed to succeed. And the most disturbing trend is that straight, white men don't have a seat at that table. Because these champions of equality and progression have decided your race and gender should dictate success. And if you're a white guy, you shouldn't be judged on skill or merit. But rather, what people who looked like you did in the past.
Now, the people I'm talking about will read this and use the atomic bomb of racism to squash my argument. They'll say I'm just an angry, hateful white guy But first of all, I'm legally blind. I don't see color. Or much of anything really. I'm one of those disabled's you pretend to care about. More importantly, my taste in comedy isn't clouded by race or gender. I like white comics like Louis CK, Bill Burr and John Mulaney. I like black comics like Dave Chappelle, Hannibal Burress and Michael Che. I support men like Joe Rogan and Doug Stanhope and ladies like Chelsea Peretti and Nikki Glasser. But what I hate is that I have to list who I'm into, like I'm submitting my resume for approval to prove my opinion should be allowed. There's no quicker way to silence someone then by slapping the scarlet R for racism on their chest. But not everyone that thinks of white men as equals has fantasies 1800's southern plantations. Some of us are just calling out a clear hypocrisy.
Now, I also realize writing something like this is futile. The clip I used of Jerry Seinfeld is from a few years ago and while he put it far more brilliantly than I ever could, his message was ignored. But I wrote this because I believe in it. While others write things for Twitter applause, I try to make points I know I can defend And I'd love to debate anyone who disagrees with me because I like a debate and I know there's substance behind my words So we can have that discussion. Or you can continue to put your fingers in your ears and cry racism. Just know, it's up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment